How do I get my rebate check?

Most taxpayers need to do nothing other than file their tax return as they normally would. The IRS will determine individual eligibility and the amount of your rebate check based on your tax return. Your payment will be issued to you by the IRS in the same manner your refund check was issued.

How quickly can I get money at Z&Z Accounting?

When you file electronically and choose one of the free IRS Direct options, you can receive your refund directly from the IRS by direct deposit in approximately 8 to 15 days. You can also choose to have the IRS mail you a check in approximately 21 to 28 days. IRS Direct is free with paid tax preparation.

How do I get a copy of a prior-year tax return and W-2?

If you filed your tax return through Z&Z Accounting, then you can get a copy of your records from Z&Z Accounting. Otherwise, as long as you filed your tax return with the IRS, you can request a photocopy or a computer transcript (a line-by-line listing) of the information on your filed tax return. Photocopies and transcripts are free from the IRS. If you need an actual copy (not a photocopy), then you must complete Form 4506 and pay a $57 fee for each year requested, for your filed tax return and all related tax information, such as your Form W-2.

Items you may need for your tax interview include:

  • Wage statements/W-2s
  • Self-employment business income and expenses/1099-MISC
  • Commissions received/paid
  • Pension, retirement income/1099-R 
  • Unemployment income/1099-G 
  • Canceled debt amount/1099-C 
  • Social security income/SSA-1099 
  • IRA contributions
  • Statements on the sales of stocks or bonds/1099-B 
  • Interest and dividend income/1099-INT/1099-DIV
  • Lottery or gambling winnings/losses
  • State refund amount/1099-G
  • Income and expenses from rentals
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Record of purchase or sale of residence
  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Real estate and personal property taxes
  • State or local taxes paid
  • Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid
  • Cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid/1098
  • Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
  • Job-related educational expenses
  • Educator expenses
  • Tuition and education fees/1098-T
  • Student loan interest/1098-E
  • Casualty or theft losses
  • Child care expenses and provider information
  • Social security card(s)
  • Driver's license(s)
  • Dependents' social security numbers and dates of birth
  • Information concerning Stimulus payment check
  • Last year's Federal and State tax return
What is the Earned Income Credit (EIC) and am I eligible?

The Earned Income Credit (EIC) is applicable to low-income workers who may or may not have a qualifying child, or children, living with them. If you can take the EIC, then it is subtracted from the tax owed. The credit can be refunded even if you don’t owe any tax. If you have one qualifying child and your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) are each less than $35,463 ($40,463 if filing Married Filing Jointly), then you could be eligible for a maximum credit of $3,043. The maximum credit is $5,028 if you have two qualifying children and your earned income and your AGI are both less than $40,295 ($45,295 if Married Filing Jointly). New this year, if you have three or more qualifying children and your earned income and AGI are each less than $43,279 ($48,279 if Married Filing Jointly) the maximum credit is $5,657.  You may still qualify for a maximum credit of $457 if you do not have children and your income is less than $13,440 ($18,440 if Married Filing Jointly).